Mental illness is an illness that affects or is manifested in a person's brain. It may impact on the way a person thinks, behaves, and interacts with other people. The term mental illness encompasses many psychiatric disorders.
If you are experiencing a mental health emergency that requires immediate attention, please contact Crisis Intervention at 717-394-2631.
Recognizing Signs / Symptoms of Mental Illness
- Drastic change in behavior
- Extreme fright
- Hearing voices (appearing to have a conversation with someone who is not there)
- Grandiose ideas
- Persistently sad or irritable mood
- Changes in sleep, appetite, body weight
- Lack of interest in once pleasurable activities
- Recurring thoughts of death / suicide